Monday, May 3, 2010

Bernina Sewing Machine

I mention in my entry to the "Stitch This" challenge that it was sewn with my 24-year-old Bernina 930.
 
I purchased my very first sewing machine (Necchi) when I was 17 using my own money I had earned from picking strawberries and beans in Washington (starting at age 10) and then working as a busgirl in Alameda. I had worked hard and my parents encouraged me to buy a sewing machine since I was always sewing when not working. Sure, I went to high school parties, but sewing my first quilt took priority also.

Later, when my first child, Daniel, was born, my mother-in-law encouraged me to buy a new machine because I would soon be busy making baby clothes and accessories for the crib. She insisted that I buy the Bernina 930. Price-wise this was out of my budget. But, I trusted her when she said it wouid last forever.

She was right. Now, 24 years later, my Bernina 930 is great. Every time I take it to a quilt retreat or class ladies come up and admire it. I had no idea it was such a jewel. Daniel is getting married and I am about to make his new bride a wedding quilt. Someday, I will also make little baby clothes for them, hopefully with a new machine... a Bernina, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment